The Shaw and Partners Hayden Kenny Classic saw open competitors tackle and conquer 4-6 foot seas at Alexandra Headland while the junior competitors opted for the calmer shores of Mooloolaba.
It was Welborn who stole the show in both the Board and Open Ironwoman Final; mastering the ocean in the first ski leg to take a big lead and was unstoppable. Crossing the line with pure emotion and fighting back tears Welborn was over the moon with her win.
“I can’t really describe how I’m feeling right now. I’ve been thinking of a win for such a long time, I haven’t won an event like this in a while. We work towards this and out so much into this. I am speechless!”
Hendy with fire in his belly claimed a victory that will go down in the history books, narrowly defeating Burleigh Heads Ky Kinsela in a sprint finish.
“This is unbelievable. It’s been a while between drinks for me. I’m pretty proud of myself, I’ve had a rough couple of years and my life in turmoil at the moment, everything’s pretty nuts. But I love the process and I love this sport”
It was a fitting day for family legacy with Jett Kenny winning the mixed Taplin relay with Alexandra Headland.
2022/2023 Shaw and Partners Summer of Surf Series:
- 27th-30th October – Summer of Surf World Cup 7,000 – Woolgoolga SLSC, NSW
- 20th November – City of Perth 5,000 – City of Perth, WA
- 26th November – Wanda Tradies One Club 5,000 Wanda
- 2nd & 3rd December – Shaw and Partners Hayden Kenny Surf Classic 10,000, Alexandra Headland
- 10th & 11th December – Whangamata Classic 5,000, Whangamata NZ
- 7th January – Shaw and Partners Senior Carnival 5,000 – Sorrento WA
- 8th January – Surf Coast Times Jim Wall Ironman 5,000, Torquay Vic – Tentative
- 20th & 21st January – Shaw and Partners Manly Surf Open, Manly 10,000
- 22nd January – Freshwater Classic 5,000
- 27th & 28th January – Murphy Builders Maroochy Classic 7,000, Maroochydore
- 10th & 11th February – Shaw and Partners Shannon Eckstein Ironman Classic 10,000, Northcliffe
Summer of Surf would also like to thank the incredible event partners Shaw and Partners Financial Services, Alexandra Surf Life Saving Club, Visit Sunshine Coast, Sunshine Coast Council, Surf Life Saving Queensland, Finis, Jolyn, We Are Feel Good Inc, Jolyn, Kracka, BOS Oceansport, LSKD, Race One, Oakley, Grinders Coffee Roasters and Tri Swim.